Author Notes: Normally I make these little cheese puffs with parmesan and serve them with a warm marinara dipping sauce. This time I used gruyere and filled them with cream cheese, green onionand a little roast beef.. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 25 puffs
For the gougeres
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups finely grated gruyere
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
For the filling
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup very finely diced deli roast beef
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- For the filling, thoroughly combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate while making the gougeres.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a saucepan bring the milk and butter to a boil.
- Add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture rest for a minute.
- Beat in the first egg until fully incorporated.Beat in the second egg.
- Stir in the cheese and horseradish.
- On a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet, drop teaspoons of the mixture about two inches apart. (or pipe them on with a pastry bag fitted with a plain hole)
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- With a sharp paring knife, cut each puff almost in half, leaving a little hinge.
- Fill each puff with about a teaspoon of the filling and serve.