Author Notes: The sweetness of the fennel combines its crunch with that of carrots, the fresh ginger and horseradish in the dressing for a flavor best described as *bright*! - boulangere
For the Salad
- 12 carrots, peeled, cut in thirds, julienned
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, julienned
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, unseasoned
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Olek
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Julienne the carrots and fennel bulbs with a knife or with a mandoline. Place in a salad bowl with half the chopped fennel fronds and toss to blend. Keep remaining fennel fronds for garnish.
- Prepare dressing. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend. Taste by dipping a pinch of the salad mix into it. Adjust seasonings as necessary. More horseradish and lime will make the flavor "brighter"; more Sambal Olek will, of course, set your hair on fire.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to blend. Garnish with remaining chopped fennel fronds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish