If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The sweetness of the fennel combines its crunch with that of carrots, the fresh ginger and horseradish in the dressing for a flavor best described as *bright*! —boulangere
For the Salad
- 12 carrots, peeled, cut in thirds, julienned
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, julienned
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, unseasoned
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Olek
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Julienne the carrots and fennel bulbs with a knife or with a mandoline. Place in a salad bowl with half the chopped fennel fronds and toss to blend. Keep remaining fennel fronds for garnish.
- Prepare dressing. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend. Taste by dipping a pinch of the salad mix into it. Adjust seasonings as necessary. More horseradish and lime will make the flavor "brighter"; more Sambal Olek will, of course, set your hair on fire.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to blend. Garnish with remaining chopped fennel fronds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
Yes, You (Beer) Can
The trials, tribulations, and success of a tricky chicken
The invincible beer can chicken.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.