If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the past, horseradish was something relegated to a symbolic presence on the passover seder plate. Over time, it has become an apt performer for me adding it's unique pungency to cut through other strong flavors. Horseradish is clearly the star in this one as part of a creamy dressing that coats the duck fat roasted potatoe potatoe salad as well as in the form of horseradish mustard for the deviled egg topping. Even my wife, a horseradish hater, liked the potato salad. This dish incorporates smokey flavors with smoked paprika on the roasted potatoes and serving this with topped with delicate smoked sable. Note that if your crème fraiche is very thick it can be thinned with some sour cream, yogurt or olive oil. - foodfighter
- 2 tablespoons Duck fat, melted
- 3 Russet Potatoes, large dice
- 2 tablespoons Prepare Horseradish
- 1 shallot, minced
- .5 cups Creme Fraiche
- 4-8 slices smoked sable
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Horseradish Mustard
- 4 slices white bread, toasted
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 10 Chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss diced potatoes with the duck fat and 1 teaspoon salt and .5 teaspoon pepper and smoked paprika. Roast until golden brown and crispy flipping once after 10-15 minutes. Total time about about 45 minutes.
- Add half of minced chives and minced shallot along with crème fraiche to bowl. Add salt, pepper and prepared horseradish .5 teaspoons at a time to taste. I ended up using all 2 tablespoons.
- Allow potatoes to cool slightly, then mix with crème fraiche dressing and set aside.
- Cut eggs in half. Dice egg whites. Combine egg yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix until quite smooth, adding additional mayonnaise if too dry. Place in a small zipper bag.
- Layer slice of toasted bread with potatoes, then sprinkle with diced egg white. Next top with a couple slices of smoked sable, and using the zipper bag pipe the yolk mixture on the top. Garnish with remaining minced chives and dusting of smoked paprika.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish