If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My grandmother never let anything go waste, no sirree!. One of her signature 'recipes from scrap' was a quick relish made from the crisp center of Cauliflower stems. Finely dice the white crunchy centre, add a dash of cayenne pepper, salt and a spoon of freshly powdered mustard. Pour smoking hot sesame oil & squeeze the juice of one lime. To this day, I can't bear to see a cauliflower stem go waste!
The heat from the crushed mustard is similar to that emitted by horseradish, since they're from the same family. I usually make carrots this way for a quick spicy accompaniment to Indian Roti & dal, makes for an unusual salad/relish. The mustard in this recipe has been relegated to a supporting role, providing the texture. while the horseradish assumes the responsibility of providing that unique stinging heat.
- 1 large carrot cut into sticks
- 1 large golden beet, cut into sticks
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon freshly powdered mustard seeds
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoons red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Boiling water for blanching
- Drop the carrot sticks into the boiling water for 1 minute to blanch them. Shock in ice water, pat dry. Repeat for the golden beets. Combine & set aside
- Add grated horseradish, powdered mustard seeds, salt & red chili powder & toss to evenly distribute the seasoning.
- Heat sesame oil till it begins to smoke & pour over the carrot-beet mixture. The oil should hiss & sizzle as it makes contact with the vegetables. stir to distribute the oil.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the relish. chill until ready to serve. Serve alongside rice & any Indian dal dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.