If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love a good coleslaw that has a tiny bit of heat. This one's great with fried foods, pulled pork, steak, sandwiches, burgers, etc. Adapted from Carrot, Parsnip and Granny Smith Apple Coleslaw from the cookbook Apples: A Cookbook by Robert Berkley. - mrslarkin - mrslarkin
Food52 Review: This slaw was a snap to prepare with a food processor. I followed the recipe to the letter, and the results were very good. Adding a few squirts of fresh lemon to the slaw really changes the character of the horseradish-based dressing. The lemon freshens the slaw and melds with the horseradish nicely. Gauge your crowd for horseradish lovers - my husband would have preferred less horseradish, but the taste suited me perfectly. This salad would be very good inside a Reuben or other smoked meat sandwich, or as a side to BBQ. Thanks mrslarkin for such a versatile and flavor-layered recipe! - Bevi - Bevi
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, peeled and cored
- 1 parsnip (about 5 ounces), peeled and trimmed
- wedge of red cabbage, about 6 ounces
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and trimmed
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons honey, or to taste
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- a couple of lemon wedges
- Shred all the vegetables and apple, either with the grater disk of a food processor, or by hand with a box grater. Place in a medium bowl. Add onion to the bowl.
- In a measuring cup, combine the creme fraiche, honey and horseradish and mix well.
- Pour creme fraiche mixture over the vegetables and toss to combine, until it's all well coated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the lemon over the slaw and fold in. Taste for salt and pepper.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!