Author Notes: Delicious pork and shrimp dumplings are served with noodles and bok choy in a Szechuan-style, spicy sauce. - Cindy Lee Roberts - Cindy Lee Roberts
Food52 Review: Dumplings and noodles mingling together are such a delight, though this refreshing, spicy sauce -- sort of a loose cilantro and green onion pesto -- would be great on noodles alone, or dumplings alone, or pretty much anything. - Kristen Miglore
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup spring onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
Dumplings, Noodles and Bok Choy
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound shrimp, headed and peeled, then roughly chopped
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 packet dumpling wrappers
- 6 ounces Chinese or Japanese white noodles
- 2 handfuls bok choy, cut into 1" pieces
- Mix the pork, shrimp, spring onions, ginger, salt, pepper, sesame oil, and wine in a medium bowl.
- Place about a tablespoon of the dumpling mixture on each wrapper, seal and shape. This makes about 50 dumplings. Freeze the ones you don't use, then you can make this again!
- Boil a couple of quarts of water in a large pot, throw in the noodles, and cook for two minutes (Note: You may need to adapt the boiling timing, depending on what type of noodles you use -- be sure to consult the suggested time on the package). Now, add about 12 dumplings and continue boiling gently until the dumplings are cooked (about 8 minutes). You can tell by looking at them!
- Throw in the bok choy, cook for 30 seconds more, then turn off the heat. Drain the noodles, dumplings and bok choy and serve immediately in capacious noodle bowls.
- Spoon the spicy sauce over the top, mix it all up, garnish with a little cilantro, and serve!