If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband and I recently read Omnivore's Dilemma and panicked about our meat consumption. We've committed to eating only ethical meat. Since I'm a teacher and he's a grad student, this means eating significantly less meat. Neither of us much goes in for fake meat, and portabello burgers don't really fulfill the craving for the real thing. They're something entirely different, delicious in their own right. This recipe was inspired by techniques from a variety of recipes online. We usually have it with a quick flavored mayonnaise (garlic and sundried tomatoes are good additions) and/or a tangy cheese (feta, goat, sharp cheddar). —esgray
- 1/2 cup olive oil (approx.)
- 3 dashes balsamic vinegar (approx.)
- 1 handful rosemary, thyme, basil, or sage (depending on what we happen to have on hand)
- 2-3 cloves minced
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pat butter
- 1 handful sundried tomatoes, cut into smallish pieces(optional)
- 2 good sandwich bread (we like par-baked sandwich rolls from Trader Joe's or Fresh Direct)
- . Mix together the oil, vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic, and spices in a bowl large enough to fit both mushrooms. Marinate for about a half an hour, flipping about halfway through.
- Toward the end of marination, preheat the oven to about 250 degrees. Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sautee mushrooms, smooth side down, with the garlic and onion. Pour the rest of the marinade into the "fin" side of the mushrooms. Sautee for about 2 minutes per side. Transfer mushrooms to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add butter and sundried tomatoes to pan with the garlic and onions to create a saucy mixture to serve over the mushrooms. Serve on nice rolls with a flavored mayo and/or a sharp cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.