If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A while back an acquaintance of mine had a vodka infusing party. One of the vodkas he made was a chanterelle infused vodka. Chanterelles have a lovely fruity, earthy fragrance often equated with apricot or pumpkin. The have a lovely complex flavor - a little fruity, a little peppery, a little earhty. They are a great beginner mushroom for hunting in Oregon - easy enough to find, fairly easy to identify, and not prone to maggots like some mushrooms (boletes I'm talking about you!) For my version of chanterelle infused vodka I've added a few aromatics to enhance some of the chanterelles characteristics - some vanilla and star anise to accentuate the fruitiness and add a subtle sweetness, and some black peppercorns to add to the natural pepperiness. I've used dried chanterelles because fresh are out of season, and because they produce a clear vodka. (Fresh ones can be used, but the resulting vodka will be cloudy, and you will need to add about 4 oz.) I confess I've not come up with a cocktail to use this in, but I think vodka lovers will enjoy sipping it straight. It has a fruity & earthy nose. The forward taste is slightly sweet chanterelles, and it finishes with a little peppery bite. —hardlikearmour
Makes 1 bottle
- 750 milliliters bottle of 80 proof vodka (not top shelf, but something decent)
- 1 ounce dried chanterelles
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1/2 star anise pod
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, slightly crushed
- Mix all ingredients in a quart sized jar. Set in a cool, dark place. Shake mix every day or so. Taste vodka after 3 or 4 days, if the peppery bite hasn't started to come through yet continue to infuse another day or 2. Strain with a fine mesh sieve or through cheesecloth and store in the original vodka bottle, or a fancier bottle if you've got one.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.