If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first stumbled upon these two beautiful words strung together via MrsWheelbarrow on twitter, which lead to a deeper dive into a few blogs which had recipes for bacon jam, then… I turned to my stash of homemade bacon.
For my spin on it, I gave it a sort of Mayan-Mexican twist. Cocoa nibs (roasted cocoa beans) impart the essence of chocolate without adding any sweetness. The ancho and chipotle give it a bit of spice and smoky flavor, while the cinnamon adds subtle warmth. I used agave syrup (you can use honey as a substitute) which is a sweet syrup made from the cactus where tequila comes from… hmmmm maybe I should try a batch with a shot of tequila in the mix. Beware, if served to guests, this will turn the most polite into gluttons and beggars. —wanderash
Serves about 2 cups
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (or smoked paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs, ground
- 3/4 cup strong black coffee
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave syrup (or honey)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until fat is rendered and bacon is slightly crisp. Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Pour out half of the bacon fat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Add the sugar, all of the spices and cocoa nibs and stir over heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a small pot and pour in coffee, vinegar, agave and water to cover. Simmer on low for about 3 hours. Add more water during the cooking if the liquid gets too low.
- Transfer to a food processor and pulse until slightly smooth. I leave it a bit chunky with bacon bits. Serve with baguette and apple slices.
Tags: serves a crowd
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.