If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I developed this independently, and some time later discovered that it is almost exactly the classic provencal lamb stew. The idea for coffee came from the classic southern "red eye gravy", and later still I learned that using coffee as a flavor deepener is a typical French technique. This all is even more surprising since I do not usually cook in the French tradition. - peter_
- 3-4 lbs lamb, 1-2 inch cube
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 cups minced garlic
- 2 lbs turnips, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs red potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb carrots, peeled, cut into coins
- 1 cup red wine, good quality, not "cooking wine"
- 1-2 cups black coffee, can be decaf, not flavored
- 1/2 cup rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 chile jalapeno or serrano
- salt and pepper to taste
- PROVENCAL LAMB STEW In a large Dutch oven or stew pot, heat a little oil. Sautee chiles in the oil. Pull the chiles out. Sear the cubed lamb until it develops a nice crust on all the pieces (this is the secret of any good meat stew). You will have to do this in batches so that the pieces do not touch during searing; otherwise they will just steam instead. Fry the onion until it is translucent. Then add the meat back in. Cover with boiling water. Add the garlic, carrots, turnips and potatoes. Add the wine and coffee. Bring back to a boil. Add the herbs and a little salt and pepper to taste. Lower to a simmer and leave simmering for 2 + hours. After turning the stew off, let it cool and refrigerate overnight to blend. The next day skim off any fat or grease from the surface, reheat and serve. Adjust salt and pepper as necessary at any time during reheating.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
Breakfast for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
When I dip, you dip, we dip.
Style with a breeze.
Genius, explained at last.
White and Grey Ceramic Vase
For fresh blooms.