If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Panna cotta always seemed fussy to make. But was I wrong. It’s as easy as brewing a strong cup of coffee and simmering milk, cream, sugar and a few extra ingredients in a pan. The results are rich nutty coffee and cream with a hint of chocolate crunch, you know, the kind of dessert you might want to serve on Oscar night and then again the next morning.
A few notes on the recipe. Typically, panna cotta is made with gelatin but this version uses agar powder (a neutral-tasting gelling agent made from seaweed) in its place. I prefer to use soy milk paired with cashew cream in this recipe but you can use dairy milk with equally good results. —artandlemons
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup organic whole milk (soy or dairy)
- 2 cups cashew cream (see below)
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons agar powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- To make cashew cream: grind 1 cup raw cashews with 1 cup water in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy—save extra to stir into oatmeal or soup.
- Brush 4 to 6 ramekins or shallow cups with canola or other neutral-flavored oil. Place the milk, cashew cream, sugar, agar powder, vanilla, sea salt, and coffee in a medium pan. Whisk the ingredients together then allow mixture to rest for 10 minutes for the agar powder to dissolve.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and continue to simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the agar is incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in the cacao nibs. Pour into the prepared ramekins and chill uncovered for 2 hours. Serve inside the cups or unmold onto plates.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.