If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom made coffee in a Pyrex coffee pot and then later in an electric percolator. If the coffee pot broke or later if power went out she would make "cowboy" coffee - coffee grounds boiled in a pot ,in order to get her fix. I have done the same, pre-generator days. So when I cooked the beans for this chili, I did them "cowboy" style by adding finely ground coffee beans to the water and pintos. - inpatskitchen
Coffee rub ( makes 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon very finely ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Combine all the ingredients and set aside.
For the Chili-Mac
- 2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- water for cooking beans
- 2 teaspoons finely ground coffee beans
- 1 pound beef chuck roast, diced in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons of the coffee rub
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14.5 ounces canned tomatoes with the juice
- 12 ounces tomato or vegetable juice
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 cup dried, small shaped pasta, cooked according package directions
- green onion, sour cream and/or grated cheese for serving (optional)
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- Cook the beans and the 2 teaspoons finely ground coffee beans in enough water to cover them by about 3 inches for about an hour or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Season the chuck cubes with 2 teaspoons of the coffee rub in a dutch oven or soup pot, browning them well in the olive oil.
- Add the onion, green pepper, garlic, and serrano to the pot and saute until the onions soften.
- Add the 2 tablespoons coffee rub, the cumin and cayenne and stir well.
- Crush the canned tomatoes and add them along with the tomato juice and water. Bring to a boil and simmer all for about 45 minutes until the beef is tender.
- Add the cooked beans, brewed coffee and agave nectar and simmer another ten minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and serve with the garnish if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.