Author Notes: Finding a delicious and filling vegetarian bbq main dish to feed my non-veg friends can be a challenge when I don't want to rely on veggie burgers. This tofu, marinated in a silghtly spicy peanut sauce is a synch to make and pleases just about everyone I've fed it to. You can either grill it up directly on the grill in slabs or put squares of it on skewers with sugar snap peas, peppers, asparagus or whatever else you can think up. The marinade is totally addictive and great on tofu and veggies alike. I usually make the marinade in my tiny food processor but you can mix it just as easily by hand. Enjoy! - enbe
Serves 4 as a main dish
- 2 12 oz packages of extra firm tofu
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth works best if making by hand, otherwise chunky is fine))
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- chili garlic sauce (I use the one from the sriracha company). Start with 1/4 tsp and add to taste.
- Sugar snap peas, onions, asparagus, peppers, or any other vegetable you have on hand
- Drain tofu, wrap in a layer of paper towels and press for at least 15 minutes. If you're using skewers, begin soaking them. If you don't already have your grill going, get it started!
- While pressing the tofu, roughly chop garlic and mix it, along with the soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, sherry and peanut oil in a small food processor or blender. When it is well mixed, add the chili garlic sauce to taste. To finish, add a handful of chopped cilantro and process until well chopped but not fully liquidated. If you're mixing by hand, chop very finely.
- Slice tofu (~8 slices per regularly sized block) or cube it. Place it in a plastic bag with the marinade for at least half an hour. If you're using skewers, chop up your vegetables to skewer size.
- Remove tofu from marinade and place on a medium hot grill (no shooting flames). Assemble kababs at this point alternating tofu and vegetables. Cooking time will vary depending on your grill but try for good grill marks on both sides. Use caution when moving the tofu around on the grill because it has the tendency to stick.
- Plate still warm tofu and top with leftover marinade.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish