If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe has special meaning for me, because it was the first off-the-cuff recipe I created from scratch while starting my own culinary company. The idea of making this dish, came to me while meandering through Whole Foods, wondering what to make that would best define Spring. I then spied smoked salmon on sale and I was on my way, guessing on the ingredients while navigating through the grocery store aisles. By creating this recipe, I found out that I have what it takes and I have the cooking know-how, to be a successful business woman in the culinary industry. Which is what I want to be remembered for. —MariGarrett
Smoked Salmon Cakes and Salad Greens
- 1 1/2 cups grated yams (sweet potatoes work as well); approx 1 large yam.
- 1 1/2 cups grated russet potatoes; approx 1 large russet potato.
- 1 medium size leek; only white part is needed (about 8” once trimmed). Prepare by cutting in half lengthwise, rinsing thoroughly (leeks can be very dirty). Next lay the leek halves flat on a cutting board and cut the two halves in thin slices.
- 1/2 cup Quinoa flour (all-purpose flour may also be used).
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste).
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme (I find, rubbing the dried herb between my fingers, brings out the most flavor).
- 2 teaspoons paprika (anykind will do, but I prefer smoked paprika, aka: Pimentòn).
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
- 1 large egg (or 2 Tbsps egg whites, for a lighter version).
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard.
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, flaked.
- 1 pound (16 ounces) prewashed salad greens (baby lettuce, spring mix, baby spinach, etc).
- Enough balsamic salad dressing to lightly coat salad, when tossed.
- 1. Combine and soak grated yams and potatoes in water for 10 -15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix all tartar ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Next mix the lemon dressing for the watercress topping (do not add watercress yet) and also set aside (recipes and ingredients to follow).
- 2. After yam mixture has finished soaking, pour into cheesecloth lined colander. After fully drained, squeeze any remaining liquid from the yam mixture, through the cheesecloth.
- 3. Place yam mixture in large bowl. Add the leeks, flour and spices; mix well. Next add the remaining ingredients; mix well.
- 4. Form twelve cakes and set aside.
- 5. Coat a medium non-stick frying pan with cooking spray or regular cooking oil and place over medium heat*.
- 6. When pan is heated, add 4 cakes and cook for 5 minutes* on each side or until lightly browned, then transfer to a large oiled glass baking dish; make sure the cakes are solid enough to turn over and remove from the pan.
- 7. Repeat step 6, two times.
- 8. Place baking dish on the middle rack in a 400?preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes* or until cooked through.
- * Cooking temperatures and times may vary depending on stove or oven.
Garlic Tartar Sauce and Lemony Watercress
- 1 cup sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
- 10 minced garlic cloves (or to taste).
- 2/3 cup spicy dill pickles, diced (measured after pickles are diced).
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste).
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2 cups washed watercress leaves (stems removed).
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest.
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste).
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste).
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- While cakes are baking, toss salad greens with your chosen dressing and toss watercress in the lemon dressing.
- Next divide salad greens among four dinner plates. Top each salad with three cakes, then top each cake with a dollop of tartar sauce and lastly, top each trio of cakes with the watercress topping.
- A couple of notes: there may be tartar sauce left over, which can be served on the side or refrigerated for up to a week in an airtight storage container. There also may be some lemon dressing left over and can be drizzled over the entire entrée or can also be served on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Warning: You might be offended.
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.