If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first starting making this with cans of Sun Roma yellow tomatoes, but since these have seemingly disappeared I now grow and roast my own yellow plum tomatoes. The Addition of the rosemary, leek, and asparagus came from the garden on a whim, and this instantly became a family favorite. —Smufty
Slow-roasted yellow tomato sauce
- 6-10 pounds Yellow tomatoes (preferably yellow roma, but any type will do)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cut tomatoes in half. Coat generously with olive oil. Place in shallow roasting pan with or without parchment paper on bottom. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast at 300 degrees for 5 hours. When cooled, chop coarse and save with all liquid. Recipe will use 5 cups. Jar or freeze extra.
Yellow tomato puttanesca sauce with rosemary, leek and asparagus
- 1 Leek - white part very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Garlic cut in chunks
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary - sprig removed and chopped
- 1 cup Thin green asparagus - cut in 1 inch pieces
- Olive oil - splash in saute pan
- 5 cups Roasted yellow tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Capers-drained
- 1/3 cup Pitted Kalamata olives - cut in halves or quarters
- Anchovy paste
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
- Heat pan over moderate high heat. Splash in olive oil and add garlic, leek and rosemary. Stir for 1 minute and then add asparagus. Continue to saute for 2-3 minutes depending on thickness of the asparagus. Add tomato sauce, capers and olives. Add anchovy paste to taste - usually 4-6 inches. Reduce to simmer while pasta is prepared. I prefer spiraled pasta. Salt and pepper to taste before topping the pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
The Spice is Right
Recipes that put a dent in that za'atar stash
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
The knots you should know.
Have a ball (jar).