If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While we may not be able to slow the pace during the workweek, we can find respite in a weekend brunch and celebrate with mom. A leisurely, casual meal with family and friends on Saturday or Sunday can renew our spirit. - bellini
Crab Cake Eggs Benedict
- 4 - 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 English muffins
- 4 citrus crab cakes (see recipe below)
- Avgolemono Sauce (see recipe below)
- In a large saucepan of simmering water, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of white vinegar. Add eggs and poach to desired doneness. Toast and butter english muffins. Place crab cake onto toasted muffin half. Remove and drain poached eggs on a towel and place onto crab cake. Top with warm avgolemono sauce and serve immediately.
Citrus Crab Cakes and Avgolemono Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup Japanese Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-far mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon each lemon zest, finely grated and lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce
- 1 cup lump crab meat, moisture removed
- 3 tablespoons green onions or chives, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2-3 lemons, juiced
- 1-2 cups hot beef or chicken broth or stock)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and sauté shallot, garlic and thyme until fragrant. Add bread crumbs and stir often until light golden. Transfer to shallow dish. In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, citrus zest and juice and chili sauce. Add crabmeat, green onions, egg and mustard to mayonnaise mixture and stir. Season to taste. Using about 4 tbsp (60 ml) of the mixture, make 1/2 in (1 cm) thick patties. Press lightly into bread crumb mixture, coating all sides. Place cakes on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turning once, or until crisp and golden. Avgolemono Sauce: Beat the egg whites until foamy. Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 2-3 ladlesful of heated broth, a little at a time, beating (or whisking) continuously. The sauce will thicken and when it coats the spoon it is ready. Cover with a towel for a few minutes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For