If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If I ever had a signature fruit, rhubarb is mine, tart and sweet but mostly tart, in a good way. And forget about adding strawberries. My signature fruit doesn’t need more than a bit of sugar and a liter of vodka to find its way to agreeableness. I make barrels of this cordial every spring, and give it away throughout the year. —eatboutique
Food52 Review: WHO: eatboutique is the woman behind eatboutique.com and lives in New England.
WHAT: The best way to savor the season -- and preserve it for later.
HOW: Throw some chopped rhubarb and sugar in a jar, cover with vodka, and let it sit for a month.
WHY WE LOVE IT: By taking just a few minutes to throw 3 ingredients in a jar, you can make rhubarb season stretch a little bit longer -- and a killer after-dinner drink while you're at it. We also see this mixed with sparkling water (or sparkling wine!) and sipped by the pool. —The Editors
Makes 1 liter
- 2 pounds rhubarb, cleaned and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 liter good vodka, local and organic are a plus
- Place rhubarb pieces in a large clean glass jar.
- Pour sugar on top of rhubarb.
- Pour vodka into jar and stir all ingredients together.
- Let this concoction sit for 1 month, stirring every so often to help break down the sugar and the fruit.
- At the 1 month point, the sugar will have dissolved completely. Strain out the rhubarb.
- Store in the same large glass jar or in smaller pretty jars. I sometimes use little medicine jars.
- Serve ice cold at the end of the meal, or in a flute with a bit of champagne.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Meet beaver tails.
Get your shine on.