Author Notes: I was trying to duplicate the avocado salsa from La Salsa (it's now called something else) in Fairfield, CT, and came up with this. It's an ideal summer condiment, perfect for grilled meats and fish. - Bogre
Makes 1-1 1/2 cups
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- large pinch green peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (not heated), or water
- salt, to taste
- Roast the poblano over an open flame until it is blackened and blistered all over. Seal it in a paper bag and let it steam for 20 minutes or so while you prep the rest of your ingredients. When cool enough to handle, scrape the skin off and stem and seed the pepper. Give it a rough chop.
- Combine the poblano and the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Check for seasonings. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Particularly good with grilled flank steak, chicken, or on fish tacos!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados