Author Notes: This dish doesn't get much easier to assemble. It requires less than 10 minutes of actual cooking time and about 10 minutes to prep the ingredients (even fewer if you buy your squid already cleaned).
I love the addition of the fish sauce to this dish. It adds a salty and savory note.
Depending on what's in season, you can add any number of greens, such as spinach, pea shoots, snow peas, tatsoi, and chives. - wildgreens - wildgreens
Food52 Review: We had never had squid prepared this way before, and now we wonder why. The clean, Southeast Asian flavors (ginger, garlic, lime juice, chile, fish sauce, basil) make great counterpoints to the pleasantly chewy squid, and the tingling heat keeps you wanting more. (We used only one serrano, as ours was large, but if you like spice, by all means use two.) The wilted greens, which char lightly on their first pass in the wok, still retain a little crunch and soak up all the tangy juices -- we couldn't stop sneaking back to the pan for extra forkfuls. - A&M - A&M
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound squid, bodies and tentacles, cleaned and sliced into ½ inch rings (frozen is fine)
- 1.5 pounds greens, such as bok choy
- 2 serrano chiles, finely diced (we used 1)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3/4" piece ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 bunch basil, about 1 ounce (three large stems or 1 cup lightly packed)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When smoking hot, sauté the greens until wilted about 5 minutes, set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil to the wok, add the serrano chiles, garlic, and ginger. Add the squid and cook about 2 minutes.
- Mix the fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime. Add the fish sauce mixture and cooked greens, toss in the basil leaves and sauté until the basil is wilted.
- Serve over brown rice, or barley, which acts as a sponge to soak up the juices created during the cooking process.
- Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe Contest Finalist!