If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderful, clean and light salad that's perfect for a first course. It really let's the calamari be the star of the show.
I've been making variations of this for my family for several years and it gets an enthusiastic reception every time.
You can certainly add shrimp or mussels but letting the squid fly solo makes it easier, faster and even tastier. - blanka.n
Serves 2-4 as appetizer
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Lemon
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Celery Stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 Large fire-roasted red pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives, halved
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 scallion, sliced thin on diagonal
- The cooking of the calamari is the most important part of this dish. You must cook it for no more then 2-3 minutes. Just til it's done, a little curled and white. Bring medium pot of water to a boil and squeeze in lemon. Throw lemon into water along with the rest of the ingredients. Add the calamari and boil til just tender. About 2 minutes. When the calamari is done, remove with a slotted spoon to a large (preferably) glass bowl and immediately squeeze lemon over the hot squid rings.
- Now add the rest of your salad ingredients. Do this quickly so the calamari has a chance to really absorb the flavor of each ingredient. Stir well after each addition.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. Variations: capers, yellow pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe