If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The actual recipe is my own creation. But I was influenced when traveling to Spain. There are so many variations of this recipe; especially when you visit different parts of that country. Each area has a different way of preparing Paella. My recipe combines the best of each area. —Beth Robbins
- 1 1/2 pounds white firm fish (I use Grouper or monk fish) cut into chunks
- 14 little neck clams
- 14 mussels, scrubbed
- 1 pound squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 10 Scallops (if very large cut in halves)
- 1/2 pound langoustines, boiled and cooled
- 3/4 pound chorizo, cut on an angle into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 pound ham, cut into cubes about 1/4 inch thick
- 4-5 chicken breasts or chicken parts
- 3-4 Sweet red bell peppers, sliced (preferably roasted)
- 2 bags of frozen peas
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 chili peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped saving the liquid (I've also used canned diced tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine or brandy (optional)
- 3 cups Valencia Rice
- lemon slices, for Garnish
- chopped fresh parsley, for Garnish
- For the stock: In a large pot combine fish, shrimp and shellfish in 3/4 quart of water. Boil for 4 minutes and then simmer for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside keeping the water in the pot. Using the same water, boil the chicken for 8 minutes. Again, leaving the water in the pot- remove the chicken and let cool.
- In a large skillet saute the sausage and the ham in olive oil. Remove from pan leaving the oils from the sausage. Add the onions, chili peppers and saute till soft. Add tomatoes (including the liquid), garlic, saffron, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the wine or brandy if desired. Simmer until a sauce is made. Taste to adjust seasoning. Place the sausage and ham back into the skillet with the sauce and simmer.
- In a very large Paella pan place the rice on the bottom. Sprinkle the peas on top of the rice. Arrange the fish, shrimps, scallops, and the squid on top. Pour the water that was used to boil the fish and chicken carefully on top. Place the paella pan directly on the stove top and bring to a boil. In a decorative manner place the chicken pieces, langoustines, shellfish, chorizo and ham on the top and place the strips of red pepper between to add color. Allow the liquid to boil for 6 -8 minutes.
- In a 450 degree preheated oven, place the Paella pan for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley and lemon slices. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.