Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a springtime juxtaposition of some jewel-like cherry plums and fresh green beans at my farmers market. The two complemented each other in a lightly pickled bean salad. Cherry plums are small red fruit with a sweet, floral flavor; mirabelles or other small plums would also work well. The warm vinegar dressing for the beans extracted some of the sweet plum flavor and turned a lovely pink color. The salad makes a nice accompaniment for smoked salmon tartines. - Fairmount_market
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 10 small plums
- 2 handfuls salad greens
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Trim the beans and blanch them in salted boiling water until they are just cooked but still retain some crunch.
- Cut the plumbs into halves or quarters, removing the stones.
- Heat the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and red pepper flakes in a small sauce pan until the sugar has dissolved.
- Toss the beans in the hot vinegar dressing, and then stir in the plums. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Plate salad greens, layer on the beans and plums, garnish with fresh chopped chives, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe