- 3 tsp black mustard seed
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 6 cloves
- 2 pieces cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- 2-3 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 pound eggplant halved
- 1 cup dried dates pitted
- 3 cup onion sliced
- 2 cup tomato diced`
- Sun flower oil for frying
- Salt and turmeric for marinating
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup water(boil 1 cup of it)
- Marinate the halved eggplant in salt and turmeric so the water drain
- Shallow fry the eggplant ,dates and onions in inch of oil
- Grind the curry powder , then add the garlic and white vinegar and grind to make the masala .Add chili powder into finished masala.
- Heat 2 tbsp of fresh oil in a pan and add 1 sprig of curry leaf into the hot oil
- Turn of the flame and add the masala along with ½ a cup of water, Then return it to the flame.
- Stair in the tomatoes scrape the bottom of the pan cook it down a bit. then add a heaping tsp of salt .Let it really brake up and cook it down for about 10 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp of sugar and cook for about 2 minute.
- Stair in the fried eggplant ,then turn the flame off. Stir in the onions and dates.
- Add I cup boiling water, then add another tbsp of sugar and about 1tsp of salt to taste
- Simmer until the oil separate and floats on top .DO NOT LET OT BOIL
- Then take it off the flame and serve
Tags: sweet and savory