Author Notes: I'm in love with pickled asparagus. But this recipe is about the trimmed pieces left over when fitting asparagus spears into jars. There was a huge pile of perfectly good asparagus, and I'd already made Absurdly Addictive Asparagus every day for a week. This soup was the solution, and from the first spoonful, all I could taste was Springtime. - MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 6 as a first course
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
- 4 cups rich, homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh sorrel leaves
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Simmer the asparagus in the chicken stock for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Ladle the stock and asparagus into the blender (careful, it's hot) and puree. Strain for smooth-like-velvet texture, or don't bother, for a more rustic texture.
- Slice the sorrel leaves into a chiffonade and mince the chives.
- Reheat the soup to a lazy simmer, stir in the sorrel and chives, then add the cream and bring the soup just short of a boil.
- Serve in small bowls with a few chives scattered over the top.
- Cream makes this soup extra rich and special. It's also nice just topped with a little dollop of Greek yogurt, for a lower calorie alternative.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe