If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm in love with pickled asparagus. But this recipe is about the trimmed pieces left over when fitting asparagus spears into jars. There was a huge pile of perfectly good asparagus, and I'd already made Absurdly Addictive Asparagus every day for a week. This soup was the solution, and from the first spoonful, all I could taste was Springtime. —MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 6 as a first course
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
- 4 cups rich, homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh sorrel leaves
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Simmer the asparagus in the chicken stock for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Ladle the stock and asparagus into the blender (careful, it's hot) and puree. Strain for smooth-like-velvet texture, or don't bother, for a more rustic texture.
- Slice the sorrel leaves into a chiffonade and mince the chives.
- Reheat the soup to a lazy simmer, stir in the sorrel and chives, then add the cream and bring the soup just short of a boil.
- Serve in small bowls with a few chives scattered over the top.
- Cream makes this soup extra rich and special. It's also nice just topped with a little dollop of Greek yogurt, for a lower calorie alternative.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).