If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Grilled cheese is never ordinary. Even if it is a hamburger bun turned inside out and grilled with white American cheese it can be the right thing at the right time. It is damn near the perfect foil for all kinds of flavors and it is just waiting for the imagination to take it for a magic culinary ride. There are no rules just things you might want to consider. Country style loaves are great but often when grilled they want to cut the top of your mouth, or at the very least act as sand paper on bare skin, the option is a potato country loaf which is going to be tender and grill up nicely. The idea of using anything other than butter is somewhat appalling but you could see olive oil as an agreeable option on the right occasion, even rendered animal fat could be a good choice. Pan choice of course is important and cast iron always works well as does medium heat. Medium heat takes longer but it will in most cases assure melty gooey cheese and a good brown crust with a good crunch. —thirschfeld
- 2 slices potato ramp bread, or a good country style potato bread
- 4 asparagus spears, cut minutes ago from the garden, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 slices French Munster cheese, not American Muenster
- unsalted butter
- pinch of truffle salt or sea salt
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Assemble the sandwich with the cheese on the bottom topped with the asparagus. Smear the top piece of bread with butter and place it on the sandwich butter side out.
- As you go to put the sandwich into the pan turn it so the butter side goes down. Butter what is know the top piece of bread. Let sandwich sit until the bread is nicely browned and the cheese has just begun to get soft.
- Carefully turn the sandwich so the asparagus doesn't all fall out. Cook until the cheese is ooey gooey and the bread is browned nicely. Sprinkle the top with truffle salt, cut in half and have a great lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
Beet Greens Can't be Beat
The summer braise worth turning on the oven for
Beet greens can't be beat.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.