If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eggs, those nutrient-dense lovely little delicious packages of health, typically cost around 30 cents a piece (even if you're buying them from the local farmer, which you should!). Given that the incredible egg gives you so much nutritional bang for your buck, cheap meals are easily centered about them.
Now that it's spring in New York, the Greenmarket is exploding with bright green bunches of asparagus. No slouch in the health department, these stalks provide a wide variety of antioxidant nutrients, including vitamin C, beta-carotene, and the minerals zinc, manganese. Since they're in season, they're also a bargain: one large bunch, enough for a couple meals, sets you back a few dollars.
Pair this with a piece of crusty bread (I like to get mine from Blue Ribbon bakery, where a sliced half loaf costs $2), and you have an incredibly healthy, delicious, well-balanced meal that costs around $3! - nadiact
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, preferably from the farmer’s market (or from New Joy-zee)
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, preferably local (with ultra-orange yolks)
- ground salt and pepper, to taste
- piece of crusty bread (torn off, a la francaise)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. remove the ends of the asparagus spears where they naturally snap off. place in a baking pan and drizzle with the olive oil and ground salt
- Roll the spears in the oil and salt until coated. place the pan in the oven and roast about 10 minutes, turning them halfway
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet. Carefully break the eggs into the pan and let cook for a few minutes. When the whites are hardened, flip the eggs for a minute to cook them, but not harden the yolk (you want them to be a little runny)
- Remove the asparagus from oven and divide between two plates. Place one fried egg on each portion and season with ground salt and pepper. Serve with a piece of bread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
It's Egg Alchemy
Make scrambled egg magic—in 15 seconds.
Magically creamy scrambled eggs—in 15 seconds.
Cool eats for hot days.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.