Author Notes: So I guess when I think dirt cheap dinner I think soup, since this is essentially the third soup recipe I'm submitting to this contest. But it's true! What better way to stretch your dollar than by cooking up some cheap ingredients and making them taste delicious. This soup has become my husband's favorite and since it's basically cauliflower, onions, broth, and spices it's definitely dirt cheap. You can use store bought curry powder instead of the spices listed, but I love the flavor that the homemade spice mix brings. - kmartinelli
Food52 Review: Roasted cauliflower and lots of sauteed onions give this curried soup a solid base and silky texture. The Indian-inspired spice blend adds a subtle heat and smokiness. It comes together pretty quickly with the help of an immersion blender, and can even be made vegan if you use vegetable broth and oil instead of butter. The crunchy pieces of cauliflower on top make for a great presentation. - broccolirose - broccolirose
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 1/4 pounds), cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped butter
- 3 onions, sliced 1 inch thick
- ½ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoons dried coriander
- ½ teaspoons hot paprika or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup yogurt or labane (optional; adjust to suit tastes)
- Preheat oven to 450°F . On a baking sheet, toss cauliflower with vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread out and roast until the florets turn brown, about 25 minutes. Set aside ½ cup of the crispiest florets for garnish.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices, cauliflower, water, and broth; cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until a desired consistency is reached. Stir in yogurt or labane if using. Season with salt and pepper and serve in bowls, garnishing with the reserved cauliflower florets.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner