If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you are of Eastern European decent, chances are you are familiar with the potato pancakes. My grandmother (or "Babci" in Polish) would painstakingly grate potatoes and onions by the dozen for our Friday night dinner. It was something that we would always look forward to. Crispy on the exterior, yet creamy in the middle, potato pancakes are a feast for the scenes. Now that I am older, and my beloved Babci is no longer with us, I continue to make these potato pancakes for my children. They are so delicious that you would never know that they only cost a couple pennies to make. Don't forget the sour cream and applesauce for serving. They are essential! Move over french fries! Potato pancakes are where its at... - Juliette
Serves 4-5 hungry adults
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 large baking potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 large yellow onion (should yield about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil for frying
- sour cream, for serving
- apple sauce, for serving
- Peel the baking potato and grate them coarsely on a box grater. Next grate the onion on the small part of the box grater. Place in a medium bowl and allow to sit for 15-30 minutes. When done, place the mixture in a cheesecloth or in a couple of paper towels and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, beat the two eggs.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in potatoes and onion mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture into the skillet. Press to flatten. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp. Sprinkle with another dusting of coarse kosher salt. Serve immediately, with plenty of sour cream and apple sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.