Author Notes: Workhorse salad. Great for lunch on the go, parties. My husband likes to take this salad to work. I am known to take nibbles throughout the day.
Serves 2 dinner portions; 4 sides
- 1 cup Farro
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock (or water)
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Garbanzo Beans
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mozzarella, I like the bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 1 bunch Basil
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Prepare the farro. I soak mine in cold water for about 20 minutes before cooking. Combine the farro and 2 1/2 cups stock (or water). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a good simmer. Put a lid on it and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the Farro is tender but not mushy. Rinse the farro in cold water to stop the cooking and set aside. The farro should be warm, but not hot.
- While the farro is simmering, broil the tomatoes. Turn the broiler on. Coat the tomatoes in one tablespoon of Olive Oil and place in a sided baking dish. Broil for 3-5 minutes, until the tomatoes are puckered and the skin starts to pull away from the meat.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a mason jar. Shake to combine. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. This salad tastes better the longer it sits, and can keep in the fridge for several days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner