If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite easy (and inexpensive) meals: greens tossed in a lemony vinaigrette, topped with French green lentils, topped with a poached egg which provides a rich dressing to the salad when pierced. I prepared this lentil "caviar" with finely diced carrots and shallot sauteed in bacon fat, with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Reserve the bacon bits to sprinkle on top of the egg for a final indulgence. - Fairmount_market
- 1 cup French green (puy) lentils
- 1 shallot
- 1 carrot
- 2 bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 handfuls baby spinach or salad greens
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Prepare the lentils. Dice the bacon (I use kitchen scissors to do this) and saute in a sauce pan until the fat is rendered and the pieces are crisp. Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the shallot and carrot. Remove the bacon bits from the pan and over medium low heat saute the shallot and carrot in the rendered bacon fat. Add the lentils and toss to coat. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and cook down. Add the water and simmer until the lentils just start to become tender, about 20 minutes. Be sure not to overcook the lentils. Turn off the heat and stir in the last tablespoon of vinegar. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Prepare the salad greens. Mix together the lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Toss the spinach or salad greens in the vinaigrette and divide between two plates.
- Poach two eggs for about 5 minutes, so that the yokes are still quite runny.
- Assemble the salad. On top of the greens, layer on a generous serving of lentils. Top with a poached egg, and sprinkle with bacon bits. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.