Author Notes: Since it's spring and rhubarb is in abundance, I decided to try using it in a savory way (not that there's anything wrong with rhubarb custard pie, quite the contrary!). I wanted to balance the tart with some sweet, though, and mangoes came to mind. The result is a very fresh, flavorful and pretty salad. - BlueKaleRoad
Serves 4 generously
- 3/4 pounds rhubarb, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 avocadoes, diced
- 4 ounces pistachios, toasted
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss the rhubarb, 1 tablespoon olive oil and honey in a bowl. Spread evenly on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for about 8-9 minutes until soft but still holding its shape. Set aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, tear up the head of butter lettuce. Add the mangoes, green onions, avocadoes, pistachios and cooled rhubarb.
- In a covered glass jar or small bowl, shake or whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, mint, salt and pepper together until emulsified.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve.