If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is courtesy of a fellow foodie and blogger, and is one of the best we’ve made to date! So being that were going caja china style on this pulled pork recipe, whether it be in your La Caja Asadora or La Caja China model, lets begin with our ingredients and then get into the way the roasting box (also called a Cajun microwave) works. Here’s what you’ll need for your spice rub…garlic, cumin, salt, sugar, and oregano. (The complete list of ingredients can be found at the bottom of the article.) Apply the rub a day ahead of time and allow to sit in the fridge in plastic wrap in order to let the spices really set in. Remove the wrap at least an hour or so before placing inside your caja china. You will want to slow roast for this pulled pork recipe, meaning your china box grill should have no more than 8 lbs of charcoal on it at any time. You will want to add fresh coals every hour or so, and allow the barbecue pork to cook for 2 to 3 hours, checking every hour when you add charcoal.
I recommend mopping with your favorite barbecue sauce at this time. The low heat will begin to break down the pork fat and begin to baste the shoulder in delicious natural juices. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the pork. Once the internal temperature has hit 190 degrees you are ready to remove your barbecue pulled pork from your caja asadora/ Cajun microwave and allow it to sit for a few hours until it has cooled to the point where it can be handled. You will notice that the pork can be literally pulled clean from the bone, and that the exterior will have a delicious crisp crust. This is what having a caja china box is all about. Here is the list of ingredients for the barbecue pulled pork. Be sure to check back soon for upcoming Cajun microwave recipes for barbecue pork tenderloin, barbecue pork chops, and barbecue ribs! And for those in the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area, contact us directly for all your summertime caja china barbecue catering needs!
Cuban Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe
1 pork shoulder
- Latin Touch
Serves serves a crowd
- 5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8-10 cloves of pressed garlic
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- ¼ cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Combine the spices and apply to the pork shoulder. Wrap the shoulder well and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Unwrap at least 2 hours before you plan to start cooking.
- Pre-heat your caja china style la caja asadora roasting box with about 8 lbs of charcoal for 15-20 minutes and chuck the pork on fat side up. Baste with mop every hour when adding fresh charcoal. Remove when the meat’s internal temp hits 190.
- Let the pork rest for at least 2 hours, then start pulling your pork!