If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had first submitted this recipe for the best dirt cheap dinner contest. I hadn't thought anyone had noticed it, but I ended up receiving some encouraging comments from someone who suggested I resubmit it to this contest. The recipe is from my blog, Cheap Beets, which I started as a result of my husband getting laid off.
I have tried making aioli using both a food processor and a blender, but have only been successful doing it by hand. And trust me, it's a terrific feeling to watch the emulsion take place before your eyes.
I suggest using one chipotle pepper, but I know some might like theirs with a bit more kick. I say go for it! - CheapBeets
Makes about 6 very filling cakes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup neutral oil
- 1 chipotle pepper and its adobo sauce, minced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, mustard, and garlic.
- Once they have combined, continue to whisk, and ever so slowly, drizzle about a teaspoon of the oil.
- Continue whisking and slowly add a thin stream of oil to the bowl. The key here is to whisk continually and go very very slowly. The aioli will begin to fluff up and thicken. It takes around 15 minutes of non-stop whisking and slow, steady drizzling.
- Once your aioli has formed, give it a taste.
- Add the lemon juice, dash of salt and the minced chipotle and its adobo sauce.
- Give another taste to check the acidity and spice.
Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
- 5 ounces canned salmon
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons aioli
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- In a 2-quart saucepan, boil the sweet potato in 2 cups water until tender.
- Drain potato. After it cools, place the cubes in a medium-size bowl and mash well.
- To this, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well-combined. I find that using my hands is the best way to get this done.
- Heat a thin coat of oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet. Using 1/4 cup of fish mixture per patty, form patties and fry in skillet over medium flame, approximately 5 minutes per side, until golden on both sides. Add more oil to skillet if necessary.
- Serve the cakes while they're still hot, with a nice dollop of aioli on the side. I like to serve mine up a a bed of garlicky chard studded with currants.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Aioli
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.