If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The DC Food52'ers hive mind concocted this preserves. After making a preserves, a pickle, and a chutney, we decided to wing it and make one last preserve. Credit where credit is due - the recipe was prompted by Bonnie Benwick's sorrel blackberry syrup. From there SallyCan thought to add some zest. Linda harvested some lemon verbena from the garden. And a preserves was born. Thanks, A&M for the get together prompt. Photo by Julia Rochelle. —MrsWheelbarrow
Makes 16 half-pints
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups blackberries
- 12 large sorrel leaves, red leaved was used, but green would work.
- 10 cups diced rhubarb
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and left whole if small, otherwise quartered
- Juice of three lemons
- Zest of one lemon
- Large sprig of lemon verbena (about 12 leaves and some flowers)
- 6 teaspoons Calcium water (included w/Pomono pectin)
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 teaspoons Pomona Pectin
- Make a simple syrup by bringing the water and 2 cups of sugar to a boil. Add the blackberries and sorrel leaves and crush well. Allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes, then strain. You should have about 24 oz. of syrup.
- In a large preserving pan, mix together the rhubarb, berries, lemon juice and zest, lemon verbena.
- Stir in the syrup. Stir in the calcium water.
- Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring all the while.
- Whisk together the Pomona pectin and the sugar.
- When the preserves are at a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, add the sugar and pectin all at once.
- Stir well and continually for five minutes, bringing the mixture back to a full rolling boil.
- Most of the foam will have subsided when the jam is ready. It will look clear and shiny, and will form wrinkles on the surface after cooling for a minute or two. Use the frozen plate trick to check the set.
- To banish every speck of foam, add small pinches of butter. We added about 1 teaspoon spread out over three additions.
- Ladle into 1/2 pint jars. Wipe the rims and place sterilized lids and rings.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.