If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have mentioned "the daughter" in my posts before. She is responsible for dragging us into the world of competitive equestriennes. Not a place for the weak of heart! But what friends we have made.
This is the walking taco for after a hot afternoon of riding horses and the good thing--you can share with friends. When her dad asked if she wanted him to make her one of her own--"No thanks, I'll just eat off yours!"
Summer food made to share. This is great because the only ingredient you need to keep warm is the beef. We use a crock pot and then everyone helps themselves to their condiment(s) of choice. This isn't "gourmet" or foodie...but somehow it is the 2nd most popular item on the menu at the horse show. - lorigoldsby
Serves 4 to a crowd
For the homemade salsa
- 1 bunch best tomatoes available
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 roasted poblano pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 ears fresh corn, roasted
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1-3 teaspoons ancho chili powder (to taste)
for the tacos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup oil for frying
- seasoning mix of kosher salt, cumin, chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 12 ounces finely shredded cheese
- fresh sour cream
- 2 avocados, cubed
- cut each tortillas into 6 piece triangles...use your pizza cutter...and fry in hot oil. Drain on paper towels and immediately sprinkle seasoning mix on them.
- Brown ground beef, add seasoning mix to taste.
- In "boat" (we get our's from Sam's Club)...layer chips, beef, cheese and salsa. Top with squiggles of sour cream and guacamole.
- Get someone else to hold your horse while you enjoy!
Tags: travels well
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.