If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love me a fish taco. And once someone finally let me in on the secret of fixing fish tacos in a hurry at home, they went on my regular rotation. The secret? Grocery store freezer case fish sticks. Get the good quality -- none of your "best value" stuff here -- do Gorton's, or Mrs. Paul's, and the extra crispy is best. Cook in the oven, or fry if you're not worried about saturated fats. But do top with this luscious black bean and corn salsa, which is a mainstay in my refrigerator all year round. Sorry I don't have a pic, but it's such a ubiquitous part of my menu I don't think I've ever photographed it! —Kayb
Black bean and corn salsa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears corn, roasted and kernels cut off, or 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 jar fire-roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked pimenton
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons neutral flavored oil (I use canola)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 recipe black bean and corn salsa
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 2-oz fish sticks
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- juice of one lime
- Combine beans, corn, seasonings, lime juice and salad oil. Set aside.
- Cook fish sticks according to package directions or your preference. Err on the side of extra crunchy coating.
- Blend avocado with lime juice, salt and cayenne.
- Assemble tacos. Spread guacamole in taco shell; top with fish stick, spoon black bean and corn salsa on top.
- Eat immediately, with prodigious quanties of Negro Modela Especial beer!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).