Author Notes: What says New York street food more than the hot dog? Well, these days, there are zillions of options from cuisines all around the world. One of them is the gyro, the Greek pita-wrapped sandwich of shaved lamb combined with tzatziki, tomatoes and onions. That's my kind of sandwich: savory, garlicky, and tangy. To mingle these two parts of the American culinary landscape, I have envisioned a Greek hot dog, in this case a spiced lamb sausage dressed with tzatziki, and garnished with sliced onion, tomato and crumbled feta.
As they say in Greece, Opa! - Beautiful, Memorable Food
Gyro Lamb "Hot Dogs"
- 6 spicy lamb sausages (Note: my vegetarian friends can substitute TofuPups or other vegetarian hot dogs for the lamb sausage, and non-lamb eaters can substitute their favorite hot dog. The tzatziki and toppings supply the essence of the flavor.)
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1 cup tzatziki (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Grill sausages and hot dog buns, preferably over a charcoal grill.
- Place cooked sausages into toasted buns.
- Top with a few spoons of tzatziki, chopped tomatoes and onion, and finally, crumbled feta.
- 1 pint plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon salt (adjust to taste)
- freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely grate the cucumber and toss it with the salt. Place in a sieve, and drain for an hour or more.
- Squeeze out as much liquid from the cucumber as you can.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt.
- Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper.
- Chill for several hours in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend and for the sauce to thicken. Stir again before serving with Gyro Lamb "Hot Dogs" or as a dip with pita chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food