Author Notes: Feel free to leave out the greens if you're using ordinary supermarket turnips. But if you've got some, by all means use them. They're GOOD and will make you feel like a Good Girl (or Boy). Like you are doing the Right Thing. - Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 leaves sage, chopped
- 1 handful of turnip greens, cleaned well and sliced
- 6 medium turnips, peeled and sliced in wedges
- 1 sweet apple (I used red delicious), peeled and sliced in wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice or cider
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Over medium heat, saute the onion and sage for about 10 minutes till the onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, put the greens in a small pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the turnips and apples to the onions and sprinkle with salt. Saute for about 10 minutes longer, stirring from time to time so they brown evenly.
- Add the vinegar, juice, and about the reserved cooking liquid. Stir and then cover the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes longer, till the liquid is incorporated into the vegetables. Uncover the pan, add the greens, and cook for another couple of minutes till the liquid is mostly gone.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.