Author Notes: Nothing new, been done countless ways and yet if you get, grow or steal perfect sweet corn and make this dish you will continually come back to it again, and again, and again throughout the summer. - thirschfeld
- 8 ears of the tastiest sweet corn, still in the husk, you can lay you hands on
- 2 cups grated hard cheese, Manchego, Asiago or Cotija
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chile Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- lime wedges
- Soak the corn in a water filled sink for 2 to 4 hours.
- Fire up your grill for direct heat grilling. While the grill is heating peel back the husks leaving them attached to the ear of corn making a handle. Remove the bulk of the silks but you are going to be grilling the corn so any remaining threads will burn off, this is one of the pluses of grilling corn. Combine the cheese and cilantro on a large plate. Combine the ancho and garlic powder.
- When the grill is hot add the corn and cook it until tender. It should get splotches of brown caramelization if the grill is hot enough.
- When it is done use a pastry brush to paint the ears with mayonnaise. Roll them in the cheese and cilantro crust. Then sprinkle with chile garlic powder combo and salt and pepper. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food