If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Oozing Gruyère cheese sauce with ham wrapped in puff pastry. When every anyone ever sees these, they always ask if they can have one without even knowing what is inside.This is the kind of dish that makes new friends. I have made these ahead of time and froze them. Then I bake them frozen for about 15 minutes longer in cooking time and turns out just as well.
Their just fun to eat. Enjoy. —MyCommunalTable
Gruyere cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinches nutmeg
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Croque Monsieur Cigar
- 1 package of puff pastry, 2 sheets, thawed
- Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound ham, shaved
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, grated Gruyère, and the Parmesan and set aside.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 6 rectangle. Stretch out a little in length & width. Spread Dijon mustard on all 12 stretched out rectangles.
- Put ham on each puff pastry rectangle along the length of it. Follow with cheese and cheese sauce.
- Roll pastry up length wise and seal. Pinch ends.
- Place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave space in between each cigar so they can crisp up.
- Bake in a preheat oven of 350F for about 25 minutes.
- Pull the cigars off the cookie sheet by the parchment. Let cool about about 10-15 minutes. Wrap with wax paper then tie. Pack in insulated bag will keep them warm. I put the extra cheese sauce in a thermos, so your guests can dunk their cigars in it if they would like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Tequila's Not a One-Hit Wonder
Master the margarita—then go crazy
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Our latest #f52contest.
It's time to travel.
This week's #happylist.
Off to market.