If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I always think I love beets. They make any dish more beautiful with their deep magenta color and jewel-like sheen. But, I've come to terms with the fact that I really only love them in small doses, and this sandwich fits the bill perfectly. The beets' earthy, caramelized sweetness is balanced by creamy brie, toasty walnuts, fresh lettuce and basil, and a dash of vinegar.
A note about roasting beets: I like to peel mine when they're raw, wrap them individually in foil, and roast them in a 425-degree oven. Depending on their size, it takes 45-60 minutes to get them to fork-tender stage. —sgpinson
- hard roll, or sandwich-sized section of baguette
- 1 small beet, roasted
- 1 ounce brie
- 1 handful toasted chopped walnuts
- a few sprigs fresh basil
- 1 leaf lettuce
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Set broiler on high. Cut roll in half and beets and brie into thin slices. Top each half of roll with beets and brie, and broil until cheese is melted and brown in spots. Remove from oven and top one side with walnuts, lettuce, and basil, and the other with vinegar, salt and pepper. Place halves together and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.