If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this recipe using a favorite scone recipe from Annie Somerville's cookbook Field of Greens. The flour mix is a formula from the cookbook GEMS of Gluten-Free Baking by Wendy Turnbull. The GEMS formula can be customized using different gluten-free flours depending on what flavors you're going for in a recipe. I like this flour mix because it is entirely whole-grain and creates a really nice texture and flavor for the scones. - the musician, who cooks
Serves 8 scones
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 cups GEMS flour mix (2-3/4 c. brown rice flour, 2/3 c. sweet white sorghum flour, 1/3 c. buckwheat flour, 3 Tbsp. millet flour)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon guar gum powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil
- 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup additional unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large baking sheets, stacked together
- 1 sheet parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix chopped dates with orange juice in a small bowl, separating the dates in the juice; let soak.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix oil and honey in a separate bowl, add orange zest to almond milk, then add to oil/honey mix, and whisk to blend well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir just until ingredients come together in a ball.
- Lightly flour surface with a little GEMS flour, turn dough out of the bowl, and gently form into an 8-inch round.
- Brush round with almond milk, and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Cut round into 8 wedges, and brush cut sides with almond milk.
- Place wedges about 1 inch apart on a parchment lined doubled baking sheet to prevent bottoms of scones from burning.
- Bake until scones are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good