If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by Karina’s blog, The Gluten Free Goddess. I combined what I learned from her blog with my favorite recipe from Pie in the Sky by Susan Purdy and came up with the cake featured below. The key to this recipe is the pulsing of the carrots in a food processor after they have been grated. This ensures a very moist cake with a more unified appearance.
This cake is delicious with a thin layer of cream cheese frosting. I make it as a layer cake for birthdays that way. Frankly, it really doesn’t need the frosting. If you make it as a bundt cake you could give it a sprinkle of GF confectioner’s sugar. I hope you like this cake as much as my family and friends (celiacs and non-celiacs alike) did. (PS do not attempt to make this as cupcakes. The baked batter is so moist it sticks to the cupcake wrappers. - flavoristabarr
For the Cake
- 3 cups peeled, grated then pulsed in a Food Processor, carrots
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (I love Wholesome Sweeteners brand)
- 1 cup unbleached white sugar
- 2 cups NOW brand Gluten Free Baking Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs (6 if you live above 5,000 ft.)
- 1 1/2 cup Safflower or Canola Oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unslated butter, at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half, insides scraped out or 2 tsp. Massey's vanilla paste
- 4 cups Confectioners sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. For the Cake sift together the dry ingredients.
- Place the sugars, eggs, vanilla and oil into a large mixing bowl and blend together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and gently whisk until combined.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared cake pans or a bundt pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes for a bundt, 25 to 30 for 2 9 inch layer cakes. Toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when the cake is done.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by whipping the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanillas or vanilla bean seeds.
- Sift the confectioners sugar in small batches, turning the machine on and off with each addition.
- Add the salt.
- Once the cake is completely cool, remove them from the pans and frost.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good