If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love my CSA - but I also really love all those spring greens you get this time of year (dandelion, mustard greens, beet greens). However, my husband is not so much a fan of these bitter veggies. In order to make them more appealing to him, still delicious to me, and quick on the weeknights I created this easy dish. - meganvt01
Makes 1 big bowl
- 2-3 bunches of whatever bitter spring greens come in your CSA box, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch beets, peeled and quartered
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the greens and toss with the garlic and oil for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and cover - simmering for 15 minutes or until your greens are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter, olive oil, and beets in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute for 10 - 15 minutes, letting the butter bubble up nicely, until the beets are tender. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- When the greens are done, squeeze over the lemon, and season with salt and pepper. Scoop the greens from the pot into a serving bowl. At this point, you can either chill the greens if you would like a cold salad, or you can serve them warm. Top with chopped tomatoes, place the beets just off to the side, and crumble cheese on top!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish