If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came from a friend back in the 1980's when curried chicken salad was popular and "trendy". I remember teaching both my mother and grandmother how to make it and we ate it all summer long.
Recently, I watched Ina Garten update her version with mango chutney and decided to re-vamp mine. I make my own mango chutney every summer and the recipe is on this site under "Mama's Mango Chutney". I'm down to one jar before I need to buy mangoes for a new batch of chutney.
Despite the corny name, this is great to take on picnics. I cook my rice in homemade chicken stock and poach the chicken in water and Meyer lemon juice. One cup of raw rice yields four cups of cooked rice. - Lizthechef - Lizthechef
Food52 Review: Lizthechef's chicken salad is packed with flavor and really lives up to its name. The spices and chutney provide a nice background flavor, with bursts of crunch and sweet from the celery and grapes. The scallion and lemon add a layer of brightness. I used brown basmati rice, and cooked 1 cup which yielded slightly more than 2 cups of rice. I ended up with approximately equal portions of rice and chicken, it was a good balance. To account for using less rice, I scaled back on the other ingredients by about 1/3. A half cup mayo was all I felt it needed and so I'd recommend starting with less mayo than the recipe calls for and adding more to taste. We ate some of the salad on top of salad greens with the cashews sprinkled on top, and some between split and toasted focaccia bread with the cashews mixed in. Either way is great -- this chicken salad definitely deserves a place in your next picnic basket! - hardlikearmour - hardlikearmour
- 4 cups cooked brown or white basmati rice, cooled
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil-based mayo
- zest and juice of one Meyer lemon or any organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, cut into halves
- 4 scallions, chopped, white and light green portions
- 1/2 cup whole cashews, toasted
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- In a small skillet, toast the cashews and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice with mayo, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Shred the chicken into pieces and add to rice mixture.
- Stir in the curry, cumin and chutney. Mix well. Add the celery, grapes and scallions.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Chill salad for at least 4 hours. Check seasoning. Chop cashews.
- Serve salad on top of fresh greens. Top each portion with some chopped cashews.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish