If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My neighbor Judy made a wonderful salad, bright and cheerful, full of good veggies. When I had a natural foods deli it was one of the stars. We made a huge batch, and made it frequently. It's great for a picnic, like the holiday picnics my family had when I was a kid -- aunts and uncles and lots of cousins. Fourth of July, when it finally got dark, we had fireworks, but before that there was plenty of great food. Wish we had this salad then! - susan g
Serves 12 - 20
- 2/3 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 bunch red radishes
- 1 small bunch celery
- 3 sweet peppers -- any color(s)
- 3 cucumbers -- peeling optional
- 1 large red onion
- 1 pound carrots
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a large salad bowl, vinegar to poppy seed.
- Wash, trim, peel as necessary, all the vegetables. Except for the cabbage, you can substitute by personal choice and availability. Give preference to home grown, locally grown, organically grown. Shift the selection with the season.
- Use a food processor to slice all the vegetables, thinly. (By hand or mandoline, if you choose.)
- Toss it, then let it sit a while to let the dressing work. You can make it ahead, and it keeps at least 5 days, refrigerated.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish