If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a very old recipe given to me by my good friend Jean. It travels well to a picnic and is the perfect partner for hot dogs and pork dishes.
You make this the day before to give the ingredients a chance to marry. No refrigeration needed when you take it to the picnic. —jane mcmillan
Serves 10 to 12
- 1 pound can sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Drain sauerkraut about 15 minutes, then cut up with shears into 1 inch pieces.
- Place the sauerkraut in a large bowl .
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, and stir to mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.