If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love any sandwich on a croissant, be it chicken salad, roast beef, or egg salad, but I especially love shrimp salad. I like to put it on mini croissants and serve it as an appetizer or just on a large one for a great summer lunch. I always fear the mayo-combined-with-protein thing, and I'm not sure this solves it, but this white bean "mayonnaise" is sure a great substitute for regular. I'm envisioning mixing it with horseradish for roast beef or with garlic for an aioli. —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: WHO: Inpatskitchen is a five-time contest winner and retired seafood retailer—you could say she knows a thing or two about shrimp.
WHAT: A simple, seaside riff on a chicken salad sandwich.
HOW: Make a vegan "mayonnaise" by blending together white beans, lemon, Dijon mustard, salt, and oil. Toss it with cooked, chopped shrimp and classic chicken salad components like chopped celery and cayenne, then sandwich it between two croissant halves and dig in.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Before we lose you at "shrimp sandwich," consider this: Shrimp sandwiches are a mainstay of Scandinavian cuisine and once you have a bite, you'll see why. It's the perfect food for long summer days (the sun barely sets there!) and goes excellently with a pilsner. —The Editors
Makes 3 to 4 sandwiches, depending on how much you pile on
For the white bean mayo:
- 1 cup cooked, rinsed, and drained white beans (Northern or Cannellini)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil, plus more as needed
- In a food processor or with an emulsifier, purée the beans, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and agave until smooth. Add the oil and process until you get a mayonnaise-like consistency.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the sandwich and assembly:
- 2 cups cooked, peeled, deveined, and chopped shrimp (I used 1 pound of Key West Pinks)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- 3/4 cup white bean mayo
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 croissants, halved
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the croissants. Divide the salad among the croissants, then sandwich the halves together. Keep the sandwich chilled until serving.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
Have a ball (jar).