Author Notes: I love any sandwich on a croissant - chicken salad, roast beef, egg salad - but especially shrimp salad. I like to put it on mini croissants and serve as an appetizer or just on a large one for a great summer lunch. When thinking of this contest and possible temperature issues, I always fear the mayo combined with the protein thing. I'm not sure this solves it, but the white bean mayo is sure a great substitute for regular. I'm envisioning mixing it with horseradish for roast beef or with garlic for an aioli. - inpatskitchen
Makes 3 or 4 sandwiches, depending on how much you pile on
For the white bean mayo
- 1 cup cooked, rinsed and drained white beans (Northern or Cannellini)
- 3/4 cups vegetable or canola oil (or a little more if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Puree the beans, lemon juice, mustard, salt and agave nectar in a mini processor until smooth. Add the oil and process until you get a mayo-like consistency.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the sandwich
- 2 cups chopped, cooked peeled and deveined shrimp (I used a one pound bag of 36-40 count shell on Key West Pinks)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- 3/4 cups white bean mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 croissants, split
- Combine all ingredients except the croissants. Divide the salad among the croissants. Try to keep as cool as possible before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish