Author Notes: My sister in law Lee used to make this for family get togethers, and I have always loved it. it has the sweet and tangy from the dressing, the salty from the bacon, and the crunchy from the broccoli. - jane mcmillan
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 1 small red onion
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- Put raisins in a small deep bowl, and pour boiling water over them to hydrate them while preparing salad.
- Fry bacon til crisp, drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Wash broccoili, pat dry, and cut into small florets.
- Drain the raisins well and place in a large bowl, add the broccoli and crumbled bacon.
- Peel and slice the red onion into thin rings, and place in the bowl with the broccoli.
- Make the dressing by wisking together the mayo, sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper. Wisk well to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture, and toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to take to picnic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish