If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently discovered a delicious ginger infused maple syrup at my farmer's market. At the same time, I've been trying to perfect my pumpkin spice cake. Everything came together this past weekend and this recipe is the result. if you can't find ginger infused syrup you can make your own with fresh ginger. peeled the root and cut about two inches into coin size pieces in 1/4 cup of maple syrup, heat it up and let it sit for at least an hour - sweet enough
Serves one cake
- 1/2 pound plus two tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 firm apples, golden or gala, or whatever you like
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin (canned is fine)
- 1 3/4 cups white flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons ginger infused maple syrup
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- heat oven to 350 degrees. peel, core and thinly slice the apples. heat two tablespoons of butter in a heavy saucepan and saute the apples until they start to brown. add one tablespoon of the maple syrup and cook for another two minutes. remove from heat and set aside.
- sift all dry ingredients except the wheat germ together and then add the wheat germ and wisk through so it's mixed in.
- in a separate bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. blend in the eggs, one at a time, and the pumpkin. with the blender or kitchen aid on a low speed, mix in half of the flour mixture then half the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour and rest of buttermilk. gently fold in the apples, raisins and nuts. spoon batter into a angel food cake pan or bundt pan. sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over the top and bake for 50 minutes.
- while the cake is in the oven you can make the topping. place the mascarpone cheese in a bowl and beat at a high speed until it gets fluffy, about two or three mintues. add the vanilla, maple syrup and ginger and beat for a few minutes more. spoon over each slice of cake when you serve it.
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.